by Gary Kirkham
Directed by Kathleen Sheehy
Produced by Iris Miltenburg
Auditions Monday, June 26 and Tuesday, June 27, 2023
Callbacks Wednesday, June 28, 7:00 pm
Elmira Theatre Company, 76 Howard Ave. Elmira ON
Inspired by a true story, Pearl Gidley tells the tale of the Gidley sisters, Pearl and Edith, who live in Blyth, Ontario. The time is 1969. The Gidley sisters have occasionally taken in boarders to help pay the bills. Their friend, George, is a piano tuner with cerebral palsy who tunes Pearl’s piano annually and is also involved with helping young American men dodge the Vietnam war draft in the US. George asks them to provide room and board for a few days to a young man he calls Charles. Over the course of the next few days, Charles and the Gidleys learn deeply personal things about each other, and about themselves. These revelations galvanize the next steps they take in their lives. Pearl Gidley is by Cambridge-based playwright, Gary Kirkham.
- 2 women – late 60’s
- 2 men – 1 in 40’s, 1 in 20’s
Auditionees will read short scenes from the play. There is no need to prepare a monologue.
Wear comfy clothes.
- PEARL: Pearl is in her mid to late 60s. She is a classically trained pianist who has not touched her piano in at least 40 years because of a devastating experience she had in her youth. She is practically a recluse, suspicious of strangers, and set in her ways.
- EDITH: Edith is in her mid to late 60s. She is young at heart and looks on the bright side of things. Though she has sacrificed much in her life, she still finds joy in living. She is protective of her sister, Pearl.
- GEORGE: George is in his early to mid 50s. He is a good-hearted widower, fervent NDP adherent, and generally a man of principle.
- CHARLES: Charles is in his mid to late 20s. He is a decent, respectful young man, but he is on the run and is frightened and confused.
Performances: 7 shows Thursdays- Sundays February 2 – 11, 2024
Performance Dates: February 2, 3, 4 (Matinee), February 8, 9, 10, 11 (Matinee), 2024
All shows are at 8:00 pm except Sundays which are 2:30 pm matinees.
For further information contact Iris Miltenburg at firstname.lastname@example.org